For years, various organizations have educated the public about the potential dangers of asbestos. However, there remain many individuals who still have questions as to what the effects are, not only for adults but also for children. Please note that if there is suspect material in your home, professional asbestos abatement in Toronto is essential.
Unfortunately, inhaling asbestos fibers puts both adults and children at risk for developing different illnesses such as upper respiratory problems or even cancer. The biggest concern is that children are more susceptible to the effects of asbestos due to their age and weaker immune systems. If you believe there is a problem in your home, have professional asbestos testing in Toronto performed.
Symptoms associated with asbestos exposure often show up in adults within a few years, but for children, it can take anywhere from 15 to 30 years. The worst-case scenario is the development of malignant mesothelioma, an aggressive form of cancer, which develops in adults but is rare in children.
Early warning signs of asbestos exposure are much the same in adults and children. Included is a tightening in the chest, persistent cough, weight loss, anemia, abnormalities with blood clotting, hoarseness, chest pain, crackling sound while inhaling, fever, and even abdominal swelling and pain. However, because many of these symptoms relate to other illnesses, it is imperative for you or your child to seek medical attention right away.
Also, identify one of the top asbestos removal and abatement contractors in Toronto to have testing performed. That way, you have confirmation whether asbestos or something else is the culprit. Notify your doctor if the contractor’s report shows the presence of asbestos, making it easier to determine the best course of medical treatment.
For homes constructed before the 1980s, builders often used asbestos-containing materials. For that reason, experts find it in drywall, flooring, ceiling tiles, pipe insulation, popcorn blown ceilings, and a host of other things. Also, if someone gets exposed to asbestos on the job, the individual could easily carry the fibers home, again creating a risk.
Only disturbed asbestos poses harm since tiny fibrous particles become airborne and then inhaled. For an older home, professional testing is essential. Even wearing protective gear, at no time should you ever try to remove suspect material yourself. Asbestos exposure is frightening, whether you are an adult or a child. Along with seeing a doctor, have the material professionally tested, removed, and disposed of to prevent any further exposure.
For superior asbestos testing and removal, our team of experts at Air Doctors can assist. Call us today to schedule an appointment.